Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Book review #9 Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (Spoiler free)

Hello bookaholics!
If you follow me on Instagram, you'd know that I finished reading Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire a couple of days ago. When I finished the book, I thought 'Wow, I loved it'. However, after I had the time to think about it, I thought it was a bit disturbing. 

Beautiful Disaster is a romance. It's told from the point Abby's point of view, a college student who put her old life behind her- gambling, drinking, her parents- and started fresh. The story follows her as she meets this boy, Travis, who is the exact kind of boys she would never have for a boyfriend: a walking one-night stand, a player, a guy who gets every woman he wants. However, Abby is immune to his charm, which leaves them as best friends. 

Let's go over the things I liked about this book first. I liked the writing style, every chapter left me wondering what's going to happen next and I found the characters interesting. I wanted to know at which point Abby and Travis will start falling for each other and how their friendship is going to develop into, well, more than just a friendship. 

What I hated about this book- and I'm going to speak vaguely so I wouldn't spoil anything- that Travis was so violent and Abby was so forgiving. Every time Travis did something wrong he would throw punches and break things. He would screw up real bad, and Abby would be mad to the point of insanity, but then would forgive him after a few words he'd say. 

The story isn't balanced, and as much as I liked the character development that Travis goes through as he falls for Abby, I hated the person he transformed into when he was sad/ tired/ jealous/ afraid/ uncertain. He had sever mood swings and he was so violent that I was afraid he'd hurt Abby at some point. Some of his reactions were so exaggerated I had to close the book, hit my face with it for ten minutes then continue reading it. 

The book sends the wrong message on how relationships should be and on what they should be built. Travis is no where near the boy who the reader would fall in love with or even how a normal friend/boyfriend should be. 
My final rating for this book is two and a half stars out of five. It was kind of fun reading it, but the morals and the ideas that it leaves in the reader's mind are totally and completely wrong. 
(Bonus point: The cover is really pretty) 
Have you read this book? Are you planning on reading it? Let me know in the comments bellow so we can discuss it together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment