Monday, February 4, 2019

My Week with Minimal Plastic Use



Hi there!

A few days back, I decided that I will try to reduce my plastic consumption. I am trying to spend this week without buying products that are wrapped in plastic and without using a plastic trash bag. I'm trying this challenge from monday the 4th of February to Sunday the 10th of the same month. I announced this challenge last Sunday on my Instagram profile. I uploaded a number of stories in which I explained the reason why we need to reduce our plastic use and shared some tips on how to do that.

I was amazed by the amount of support I received and the number of people who said that they want to take part in this. I am uploading stories on my Instagram to document this experience, but I also want to share a written record here. For the next seven days, I'll be editing this post and writing down the challenges I face and the accomplishments I make in this week of minimal plastic consumption. I hope you'll enjoy the journey along with me.

DAY ONE: MONDAY

I woke up slightly late today so I couldn't have my morning coffee at home. I bought coffee from a coffee shop and it was served in a carton cup. I'll prepare my own coffee at home tomorrow and use a mug. I had a stomach ache all morning so I didn't have anything else for breakfast and I didn't have lunch either. I did buy bread though, but I did not ask for a bag.

I didn't leave the house for the rest of the day. The problem is, however, that I have a LOT of plastic-packaged products in the house. I was feeling hungry in the afternoon so I prepared some tea. I couldn't use tea bags because they are wrapped in plastic, so I opted for tea leaves that I keep in a jar. I also had a banana and an orange.

Because I do not want to use a plastic bag for the trash, I kept the peals and the tea leaves in a reusable plastic jar. I'm going to bury them in the garden in Uni tomorrow.





I also had some bread and cheese. I kept the aliminium wrapping in a jar, along with the wrapping of some medecine I took for my stomach aches.

I had soup for dinner. I'll have to cook tomorrow.


The only two challenges I faced today (and which I'll prabably be facing untill the end of the week) is water and personal hygiene products (such as pads, toilet paper and cotton swabs). I looked for a water filter last week and I couldn't find any. I had to use a plastic bottle, but I'm planning on getting it recycled. I had to use a plastic bag for the hygiene stuff, which are already made of plastic, so that's going to be hard to get rid of.

Plastic count: Water bottle, medicine wrapping, personal hygiene products.



DAY TWO: TUESDAY


I had breakfast at home today. I had some of yesterday's bread and chocolate milk because I don't have coffee that is not wrapped in plastic. I didn't go to uni today because I was feeling sick, so I just stayed home. I had some of mom's soup for lunch BUT I noticed that she put some cellophane wrapping on the inside of the lid to prevent the soup in the jar from spilling.


In the afternoon, I went to the shop to buy some cookies. I took a plastic box with me. I asked the owner to weigh the cookies in the box instead of using a plastic bag. He stared at me and laughed mockingly. I explained that I was trying to reduce my plastic use, but he responded by saying that it would make no difference, but still used the box anyway. It was awkward.



When my friend came, she brought me a cake wrapped in a plastic packaging.



Plastic count: A piece of cellophane, a cake packaging.




DAY THREE: WEDNESDAY



Turns out that even carton cups have plastic in them. I bought coffee and used a mug instead of a carton cup. Most people are suprised when I tell them about what I'm trying to achieve this week. I had a sandwich for lunch. I didn't ask for a plastic bag. Too tired to have dinner.

Plastic count: 0.




DAY FOUR: THURSDAY



Went out on a date today. We went ice skating and had dinner at a Japanese restaurant. I took some food to go and it came in a plastic packaging and a plastic bag, but it was for Souha (my roommate) so it counts on her.

Plastic count: 0.



DAY FIVE: FRIDAY




Coffee at one p.m. and lunch in uni. There was yogurt (plastic packaging) but I did not have any. Plastic-free day.

Plastic count: 0.




DAY SIX: SATURDAY



I went out to study with a friend today. We had coffee in a cute little coffee place and something went terribly wrong *insert dramatic music*. I had a mojito AND I FORGOT THAT THEY SERVED IT WITH A STRAW. This one is on me.

Plastic count: One straw.




DAY SEVEN: SUNDAY



Oops I did it again. I went to the same coffee place and I ordered an iced coffee. Who serves coffee with a straw? Everyone appearently. Thus ends my non-plastic week.


Plastic count: One straw.



TOTAL PLASTIC CONSUMPTION OF THE WEEK

Two water bottles, medecine wrapping, a small piece of cellophane, cake packaging, and two straws.

While this might seem like a bit much for someone who is not supposed to use plastic-packaged products for a week, I realized that it doesn't count as much compared to the plastic I usually use and throw away. I was shocked to discover endless pieces of plastic candy wrapping, tea bags packaging, the packaging of packed food, ect.

This experience allowed me to realize my addiction to plastic. I am driven, much like most people in my society and everywhere in the world, to buy, buy, buy, and buy some more food, drinks, products,everything that makes life easier. Everything, and I mean everything, is wrapped in plastic.

It was hard trying to keep myself well-fed during this week, but I was too distracted by work and studying to notice.

It is worth noting that I saved so much money duribg this week and aome weight.

I'm definetly doing this again. Next time, I'll be going for a full month.




No comments:

Post a Comment