Monday, August 18, 2014

Book review #5 The Giver by Lois Lowry (Spoiler Free)



A couple of weeks ago, some of my firends and I organized a reading marathon. My TBR included The Giver by Lois Lowry. A lot of people liking this book and I wanted to read it for so long. I chose it for this reading marathon because it's short and dystopian... I just had to read it. 

Anyway, it's about this boy, Jonas, who lives in a world that is perfectly organized. The birth rates are controled. The rules are strict: when a crime is commited, the criminal is "released": as in eliminated from that society. The elders and the twins are "released" too.
Also, each December, all kids celebrate their birthdays together. All the kids born in the same year have the same age, so they are devided to groups of Ones, Twos... Elevens, Twelves, and then it doesn't matter anymore.
When a group of Elevens turn Twelves every December, they are given assigns to which they will be trained and they will have them as jobs for the rest of their lives in the future, for everyone has to conribute in the comunity. 


I liked this book, but I did not love it. It was kind of slow in the biginning, but when the story picks up it ends. And I hated it. I was reaching the last thirty pages of the book and I was like: there must be a mistake. You can't just end it so soon. There's a lot going on now!  

The presentation of this dystopian society was cool. I liked how everything is explained in such good way that you don't feel lost. The plot was good, I liked the characters: the parents and their roles and how they affect the assign that Jonas was assigned... It was good. 

I just wish Lois Lowry reversed the pacing of the story. I wish if the first part when you get to discover the society Jonas was living in were shorter and the action at the end were more detailed. 

I gave the book three out of five stars on goodreads. It wasn't bad but the end did ruin it for me. Also, I didn't like the plan Jonas made at the end (you'll get this when you read the book) because I felt like it's so... rushed. That's the word for it. The whole ending was so rushed and I wish it was slower. Not exactly slower but more like with details. 

The Giver movie was released the 15th of this month. I'm doing a movie review as soon as I watch it. If you haven't watched The Giver trailer you can watch it HERE. I liked the second one more than the first one. Don't watch it if you're planning on reading the book because it's full of spoilers that I think will ruin the book because it has some serious surprises that made me enjoy it despite my hatered to how the book ended. 

Stay tuned for the movie review. Until then keep reading. 

x

No comments:

Post a Comment