Saturday, September 6, 2014

Book review #6 Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Spoiler Free)





Hello bookaholics!

Last night I finished Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. I stayed awake until three in the morning reading it but it was totally worth it. I LOVED it.

Okay, so, Life as we knew it is written in the form of a Diary of sixteen year old Miranda. Miranda keeps this journal to write what happened after an astroid hit the moon and pushed it closer to earth which led to a series of natural catastrophies: Tsunamis, volcanos, earthquakes...
Miranda, her mom and her younger and older brothers (Jonny and Matt) are trying to survive.

I liked the fact that Miranda started her journal before the moon getting closer to earth so we got to see a bit of her ordinary life and discover her as a normal teenager with normal teenagers concerns: prom, getting a boyfriend, complaining from homework... And then when the whole world starts to collapse we witness her development and how she held up through what was happening.
I loved how she isn't perfect. She doesn't go through the whole book: I'm strong and I can survive this and the world is going to be rainbows and butterflies again. She's sometimes hopeless, she's trying really hard other times... That made me relate to her and made the story so believable because while I was reading I was thinking: If I were Miranda, I would've done that too.
Naturally when awful things happen, people get more mature than they are supposed to be. It's the same thing that happened to Miranda. She's a bit wiser and a bit a lot stronger. But we're constantly reminded that she is still a teenager and she's still fragile and she has her moments of weakness.









This book is an eye-opener. It made me grateful for everything I have and guilty for having ever complained about anything. I shed tears of both sadness and joy while reading it. I enjoyed it so much and I would recommend it to everyone.

5 out of 5 stars on goodreads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment